Dongecentrale Geertruidenberg - Netherlands
Click on the photo to enlarge
The Dongecentrale is a former power plant in the town Geertruidenberg in North Brabant. The Dongecentrale was the first provincial power in 1919. The plant had a capacity of 18.5 megawatts . Because of the high demand for electricity there were new plants build in 1920 and 1931. The Dongecentrale was build by architect G.J. van Swaaij.
At the end of World War II the plants were bombed by the German army. It took three years to get the plant running again. In 1972 the plants were closed.
In 1976 Dongecentrale became a combined cycle plant (steam and gas) with a capacity of 121 megawatts.
The first power plant dated from 1919 was demolished in the 1990s. The plant was shut down in 2011. His replacement, the Amer Power Plant was built in the same village. In 2012, the plant was sold to the province of Noord-Brabant with the aim of finding a new use for the building.