The German Nazi Monastery ' Waldniel Hostert ' / Sint Jozefsheim monastery / Kent school - Hostert
Click on the photo to enlarge
The Kent School was built in 1909 in order of the brothers Francis. As many as 600 people were given shelter in the buildings of the monastery St. Jozefsheim. most of the 600 residents were mentally handicapped.
During the rise of Hitler in 1939 the monastary was seized by the former Nazi regime and was given the name "Waldniel Hostert". Waldniel Hostert was a special orphanage for children who were not welcome in the Third Reich. In particular disabled and Jewish children were put into this orphanage,
to be killed here.
The leading Nazi doctor at Waldniel Hostert named Georg Renno has been blamed for ordering the killing at least 28,000 people in the second world war.
This maniac doctor continued his work in Waldniel Hostert itself and as many as 512 people were killed there during the second world war.
Military Hospital and Kent School
After the second world war the English have taken up residence in the former Nazi monastery. Until 1963 wounded soldiers were nursed here and the building was in use until 1992 as a boarding school.